If you can't improve your swimming speed, try modify your training routines With these tips.
Think of a car, having 5 speeds will be our goal to improve swimming rhythms, now we explain how to differentiate and work them.
When you start training You must swim at a comfortable pace. Listen to your breathing and see your pulse at the end of the warm-up, if it is similar to when you do series, you have gone from intensity.
La technique you must perform it at a rate similar to warming or slightly higher, since the objective is to improve and internalize the correction of errors you must carry a speed that allows you to do so.
The series, the key to your improvement. They are not always at the maximum nor are they always at the “cruising” pace. You must distinguish the rhythm depending on the objective and alternate the types of training in order to improve. Some proposals:
Short series (25-100 meters).
We mainly use them to work critical swim speed, mark a rhythm slightly superior to that of competition with short breaks.
These distances are also used to work lactat toleranceor, a more than frequent occurrence that occurs at triathlon exits since the swim speed to the first buoy is high. Some examples:
- Superior speed to competition: 10 × 100 / 20 ”rhythms -3seg of the rhythm of 750 in competition
- Lactate tolerance: 4 × 25 / 10 ”medium rate + 100 high rate
Average series (200-400 meters).
We work the aerobic resistance with medium rhythms and breaks between 30 seconds and a minute and a half.
This type of series allows us to learn to internalize the rhythms over longer distances until getting to do it in the objective distance. For example:
- For sprint distance: 3 × 250 / 30 ”rhythm similar to the 750 in competition
- For Olympic distance: 4 × 300 / 40 ”rhythm similar to the 1500 in competition
Long series (from 400 meters).
Although you can use them for any distance you want to prepare, if you target is medium or long distance, include long series will allow you not enter into the monotony of "continuous swimming" and be able to establish rhythms close to the competition. For example:
- For Olympic distance: 400 / 1 ”+ 800 / 2 '+ 400 / 1' rhythm close to the 1500 in competition
- For medium distance: 1000 / 2 '+ 600 / 1'30 ”+ 400 / 1' rhythm close to the competition
Try to include new ways to train your swimming rhythms and make your workouts more dynamic, you will surely feel the difference!
Laura García Cervantes