Our collaborator Healthing, tells us this time what Coaching is and how far a sports coach can help.
El coaching, although it comes from the Socratic tradition (maieutic), it has its origin in the sports field. Its intuitive use was established by the Greeks and Romans, but it was not until the twentieth century that it was developed as a system.
It is at 1975 that the merger between the principles of coaching and sports becomes concrete, when the American tennis player Timothy Gallwey publishes his book "The Inner Game", in which
Proposes the use of the precise observation and without prejudices of the critical variables.
Explaining that, if these observations are correct, the body of the person adjusts and corrects them automatically, thus achieving the best performance.
Then in 1992, Timothy Gallwey along with the Englishman John Whitemore, managed to spread in England a totally opposite methodology to the traditional techniques of training, this methodology is based on the premise that:
There two areas of human activity, the external and the internal game.
What happens in the external game does not matter. It is the internal game inside the mind of the player that allows overcome obstacles, fears, doubts, attention spans and prejudices; thus achieving victory in the external game.
Coaching is a process in which knowledge is not imparted, but it is helped to discover them. It is taking a person from what he is, to what he wants to be.
Coaching brings a new type of training to the athlete: the mental and emotional training.
This type of training allows the athlete to know their thoughts, their emotions, helps identify and eliminate their limits, helps to enhance their conditions, learning from mistakes and identify areas where they can improve.
The coaching process is made up of humanistic ideas that treat the person as an entity independent of the notion of destiny and its past, but the most important thing is that it can choose and thereby change its attitude towards the environment.
Key Points of Coaching
The mental and emotional training of an athlete helps you develop the following key points:
- Physical self-knowledge, mental and emotional
- Emotion management and the environment
- Overcoming limiting beliefs, replacing them with winning beliefs
- Increased motivation, self-confidence, perseverance, empathy and discipline
- Commitment to lead your life in an autonomous and responsible way.
In sports, chances or miracles rarely exist. The success of the champion derives from an established sports strategy and according to the needs of the athlete. That is why the coach opens paths, analyzes situations, gives a different perspective and provides the necessary strategy to enhance the advantages.
Within the strategic sports process proposed by coaching, the following points are distinguished:
- Identify the development objective
- Identify areas for improvement
- Determine the action plan
- Set monitoring indicators
Sports coaching is a very effective and essential tool for elite athletes and teams that seek success and competitive excellence in the increasingly demanding sporting venues.
Healthing, Serrano Street, 61. 4ª pla
You may also be interested in this
- Nutrition to control inflammation?
- NEUROFEEDBACK, a new treatment integrated in HEALTHING
- How to play sports until the 90 years, and not die in the attempt? Ultrasound of the heart to avoid sudden death
- Lactate test for triathlon, know your real rhythms to compete in Triathlon
- The 5 reasons why you get an effort test