Eloi Palau, from 21 years, has been seriously injuredl accidentally explode a World War I bomb on the Italian Presena glacier
According to the newspaper sports world, the bike trial champion Eloi Palau, of 21 years, was seriously injured last Monday by accidentally exploding a World War I bomb in the Italian glacier of Presena, in the Dolomites.
Palau and another young man who accompanied him were hit by the impact of the device when, apparently, he was taken out of the snow.
He is admitted with damage to the upper extremities and sight
The Catalan athlete is admitted to a hospital in Trento, where he receives care for damages of various considerations in the upper extremities and eyesight. Palau had finished his participation in the World Cup, in which 12º had finished.
Palau is one of the biggest promises of the Bike Trial, in which he came to be crowned World and European champion in junior category.
The City of Viladrau expressed its support for its councilor Jordi Palau, father of Eloi, through social networks.
The accident zone hosted a battle in the First World War
The area where the accident occurred hosted an important battlefield during World War I for its strategic importance and was bombarded by Italian artillery. The melting of glaciers in this alpine zone, as a result of global warming, is bringing to the surface remnants of war material from the battles of a century ago.
You may also be interested in this
- They ask for 4 years of jail for a drunk driver who killed a cyclist and seriously injured another
- Two years and four months in prison for a truck driver who ran over two cyclists causing the death of one of them
- A driver tests positive for drugs after driving a cyclist and running away
- A cyclist hangs in networks his brutal accident with a truck to promote the use of the helmet
- Video: A cyclist suffers an accident against a deer