What is a cookie?
A cookie It is a text file harmless It is stored in your browser when you visit almost any web page. The usefulness of cookie is that the website is able to remember your visit when you return to browse that page. Although many people do not know cookies they have been using 20 for years, when the first browsers for the World Wide Web appeared.
What is NOT a cookie?
It is not a virus or a Trojan, not a worm, or spam or spyware, or open pop-up windows.
What information does a cookie?
The cookies They do not usually store sensitive information about you, such as credit cards or bank details, photographs, your ID or personal information, etc. The data they keep are of a technical nature, personal preferences, personalization of contents, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person, but your web browser. In fact, if you regularly browse Internet Explorer and try to navigate through the same website with Firefox or Chrome you will see that the web does not realize that you are the same person because it is really associating the browser, not the person.
What kind of cookies exist?
- Cookies techniques: They are the most basic and allow, among other things, to know when a human or an automated application is navigating, when an anonymous and registered user navigates, basic tasks for the operation of any dynamic web.
- Cookies of analysis: They collect information about the type of navigation they are doing, the sections they use the most, products consulted, time band of use, language, etc.
- Cookies advertising: They show advertising based on your navigation, your country of origin, language, etc.
What are the cookies own and those of others?
The own cookies are generated by the page you are visiting and the third They are generated by services or external providers such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I deactivate cookies?
To understand the scope that may have disable cookies we show some examples:
- You can not share content from that website on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The website will not be able to adapt the contents to their personal preferences, as it usually happens in online stores.
- You will not be able to access the personal area of that website, such as My Account, or My profile o My orders.
- Online stores: It will be impossible to make purchases online, they will have to be telephone or visiting the physical store if you have it.
- It will not be possible to customize your geographic preferences as time zone, currency or language.
- The website will not be able to perform web analytics on visitors and traffic on the web, which will make it difficult for the website to be competitive.
- You can not write on the blog, you can not upload photos, post comments, rate or rate content. The web will not be able to know if you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam.
- It will not be possible to show sectorized advertising, which will reduce the advertising revenue of the web.
Can you eliminate cookies?
Yes. Not only delete, also block, in a general or particular way for a specific domain.
To remove cookies of a website must go to the configuration of your browser and there you can search the associated to the domain in question and proceed to its removal.
Configuration of cookies for the most popular browsers
Here's how to access a cookie specific browser Chrome. Note: these steps may vary depending on the browser version:
- Go to Settings or Preferences through the File menu or by clicking the personalization icon that appears on the top right.
- You will see different sections, click on the option Show Advanced Options.
- Go to Privacy, Content settings.
- Select All cookies and data sites.
- A list will appear with all the cookies ordered by domain. To make it easier for you to find the cookies of a certain domain enter partially or totally the address in the field Search cookies.
- After completing this filter, one or more lines with the cookies of the requested web. Now you just have to select it and press the X to proceed with its elimination.
To access the configuration of cookies browser Internet Explorer follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Tools, Internet Options
- Click on Privacy.
- Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy you want.
To access the configuration of cookies browser Firefox follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Options o preferences according to your operating system.
- Click on Privacy.
- En Logfile choose Use a custom configuration for history.
- Now you will see the option accept cookies, you can activate or deactivate it according to your preferences.
To access the configuration of cookies browser Safari for OSX follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to preferences, then Privacy.
- In this place you will see the option block cookies to fit the type of lock to perform.
To access the configuration of cookies browser Safari for iOS follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to settings, then Safari.
- Go to Privacy & Security, you will see the option block cookies to fit the type of lock to perform.
To access the configuration of cookies browser for devices Android follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Run the browser and press Menu, then settings.
- Go to Security and Privacy, you will see the option accept cookies to check or uncheck the box.
To access the configuration of cookies browser for devices Windows Phone follow these steps (may vary depending on the browser version):
- Open Internet Explorer, then More, then Configuration
- Now you can enable or disable the box allow cookies.