Triathlon News

Lance Armstrong admits for the first time that he was doped

The state-owned excist Throw Armstrong, offered an exclusive interview on the channel Oprah Winfrey Network, in which he admitted for the first time that doped during his professional career in which he won seven Tour de France titles.

This interview will be broadcast in Spain at dawn ofl Thursday through Friday on the television channel Discovery MAX

This was assured Monday by the AP agency a source close to the environment of Armstrong, who asked not to be identified, since the interview will not be broadcast until next Thursday.

According to the Winfrey website, it was an open interview without any filter, and it is the first one that offers Armstrong since his career collapsed after the indictment report that the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), which he did not want to defend himself and for which he was suspended for the life of cycling and withdrew all titles achieved in the Tour de France in addition to having to return the prizes won.

According to OWN, the channel and program group of Oprah Winfrey, the presenter wanted the cyclist to talk about "the years of accusations of playing dirty and of lying about the use of doping substances throughout his career as a cyclist. "

In a Twitter message the presenter said that the interview, which was conducted at Armstrong's house in Austin (Texas), has lasted two and a half hours and that the cyclist came "prepared", without giving more details about its content.

Oprah will intervene next Thursday on the CBS program "This Morning" to talk about the interview that will be broadcast on his OWN television channel at 21.00 on the same day (Friday's 02.00 GMT) and can be followed online at Oprah.com .

The USADA report detailed a systematic program of doping with his teammates from the US Postal Service teams, and that many of them were the ones who denounced how they were subjected to the doping led by their own Armstrong, that after knowing the report immediately lost all the support of the sponsors that had as an athlete "model" and sports hero.

The USADA in its report related its involvement in what it described as the "most sophisticated, professionalized doping program and successful sport has seen ", in which anabolic steroids, human growth hormone, blood transfusions and other products were used.

"My sincerely apologies"

Armstrong He also decided to withdraw from the position he held on the board of directors of the charitable foundation "Livestrong", which he founded in 1997 to fight cancer disease, of which he is a survivor.

The newspaper also indicates that this morning he met with a hundred members of the Livestrong Foundation, which he himself created at 1997 to fight cancer, a disease that Armstrong himself suffered, to apologize.

In the words of the spokeswoman of the foundation, Katherine McLane, the apologies of the athletes were "very sincere and felt," according to the newspaper USA Today.

Reopening the case

Last Saturday, the newspaper The New York Times published that Armstrong, from 41 years, told his closest collaborators already responsible for the fight against doping he was studying admit the use of prohibited medicines.

The same source noted that Armstrong he hoped to persuade the authorities to allow him return to compete in athletics tests that adhere to the World Anti-Doping Code, for which the American has been sanctioned for life.

Armstrong had always vehemently denied the doping accusations

However, his lawyer, Tim Herman, subsequently told the USA Today that there had been no conversations with anti-doping agencies about any confession. Armstrong He had always vehemently denied the doping accusations. In fact, officially, it has never tested positive.

For his part, David Howman, general director of the AMA, said earlier this month that the USADA, his organization, would not have the authority to decide whether to reopen the case of Armstrong, if I were to present new information.

But also, Armstrong It also faces other legal obstacles.

The United States Department of Justice is considering joining the federal lawsuit it has placed on Armstrong his former teammate and compatriot Floyd Landis. A Dallas-based promotions company has also said it wants to recover several million dollars paid in bonds to Armstrong for having won the Tour de France. While the British newspaper The Sunday Times, has sued Armstrong to retrieve 500.000 dollars that he was paid for a defamation claim they lost.

Source: 20minutos.es

Tags
triatlonnoticias.com
Button back to top
error: You can not do this action
Close