As reported by the world, the Italian cyclist Lorenzo Gobbo, of 17 years, is hospitalized in Ghent with a lung piercing, caused by a piece of parquet from the velodrome of the Belgian city. The accident occurred on Friday, when Gobbo participated in the European sub-23 track cycling.
«Now he recovers after the surgery, but remains in intensive care to avoid infections«, Said Frank Glorieux, executive director of the organizer of the event, held at the Vlaams Wielercentrum Eddy Merckx in Ghent.
Gobbo stuck a long ribbon in his left side and had to be immediately transferred to the Jan Palfijn Hospital, where he was removed. "Everything is under control," added Glorieux, who went to the medical center to visit the cyclist, already accompanied by his parents. According to Il Corriere della Sera, the doctors had to apply 200 stitches.
- BICITV (@bicitv) 12 de julio de 2019
The accident took place during the omnium test in the junior category. Everything was unleashed with a pedal, which extracted the piece of wood that ended up impacting on Gobbo.
You may also be interested in this
- Lance Armstrong organizes a 5-day "Tour" in Mallorca and costs $ 30.000 per person
- The significant increase in doping in cycling is worrying
- They look for the driver of a vehicle that fled after running over a cyclist in Granada
- The civil guard calls for citizen collaboration to "hunt" those guilty of setting traps for cyclists
- A serious 34-year-old cyclist after being hit by a drugged driver in Pamplona