The muscles in charge of your pedals they need to be well worked to maintain the effort involved in the cycling sector in the triathlon and "survive" the race afterwards, so we are going to work a little strength.
Before discussing some exercises that you can perform in the gym to improve pedaling, you should know what are the Main muscles involved in the action:
As you can see in the previous image, in each phase of the pedalada there are several muscles that are the main protagonists of the movement. In addition, all the core musculature is involved in the maintenance of the position on the bike and helps the transmission of force in the pedalada.
Therefore, these are the exercises you must perform to improve:
You can do it with or without weight depending on your level.
Squat to one leg
You do not need to jump, simply go up in an alternative way to a platform, step or box, keeping your abdomen active and making strength with the gluteus and the quadriceps.
You have many variants, Bulgarian squat, sit and stand with one leg, pistol squat. Depending on your level you can vary the exercises and their difficulty
Both forward and backward. They can increase the intensity with a dumbbell in each hand
If you have a leg press available, use it!
As we have already mentioned, the core musculature is very important on the bike, so work with all the varieties of plates that you can think of. Static begins, increases the difficulty giving movement to the exercise and when you get it, includes materials that provide instability.
How many sessions?
Performing at least 2 strength training sessions a week will help you improve overall triathlon performance. Remember that it is always better to have the supervision of a professional to guide you in the planning of your workouts.
Laura García Cervantes
- Dra. Science of Physical Activity and Sport
- Club Trikatlón Tres Cantos Sports Director
- Triathlon and Swimming Senior Trainer
- Paratriathlon Specialist Trainer
You may also be interested in this
- Do you want to start training with a potentiometer and you don't know how?
- What is better to do strength first and then cardio or vice versa?
- 7 technical exercises to gain safety on the bicycle
- 6 exercises with fitball to work the CORE in Triathlon
- 3 Training for cycling for an hour and a half for when there is no time to train